Saturday, October 17, 2015

Book Fun Friday Welcomes RJ Joseph




Welcome to the 3rd Edition of Our Horror Book Showcase

Today we welcome in RJ with her truly scary book.

Bio:

R.J. lives in a suburb of Houston and can often be found wrangling her blended family of one partner, two dogs, seven
sproutlings, and four sprouts. Sometimes, she's working on a new story idea or curled up reading. R.J. is also a college English professor. She might update her blog this year: https://rjjoseph.wordpress.com/


Book Title:

Monstrous Domesticity, Horror


Log Line:

Home is where the monsters reside.

Book Tag Line:

Warm and cozy feelings of the maternal and all things domestic. Closest to hearth and home…with only faint whispers of the dark and horrific underbelly. The things inside home that aren't spoken of. Monstrous domesticity.
Book Excerpt:

The last afternoon we spent at the farmhouse, Jimmy didn’t come in from the fields for lunch. I found it rather strange, but I was relieved that I wouldn’t have to scurry and jump about trying to do all the things he wanted me to do before he said them and swatted me.
Well past five o’clock, his usual dinner time, Jimmy came into the house. I immediately knew there was something wrong when all he said was, “Sarah, take me to bed.”
I whirled around from the sink to face him, and was startled to find that his face was completely colorless. He moved a little slower than usual, and he didn’t have anything ugly to say to me. I helped him to make it to our bed, and laid him down.
“Are you having dinner?” I asked, hesitantly.
“No. I’m not hungry.” He seemed to have great difficulty moving his mouth. I didn’t ask any more questions. I simply removed his clothes before he could decide that that was what I needed to do next. The large purplish bruises startled me. I met his eyes. They seemed to have grown even colder, as translucent brown as that tiger eye jewelry some of the women in my magazine wore. I didn’t ask any more questions. I returned to the kitchen to play quietly with Jimmy Jr. An hour or so later, Jimmy called to me.


Question for You Dear Reader:

What is the most frightening horror trope you've ever read about or seen in a movie? Why did it scare you so much?


Contact RJ Here:
@rjacksonjoseph


Giveaway:
Two lucky commenters will receive a free PDF version of Monstrous Domesticity.


No comments:

Post a Comment